Thursday, November 18, 2010

Binga Banga Boom or teaching is easier then doing

I'm still sick.
I still have a cough and sinus congestion.

in the past 13 days I have gone through nearly 4 boxes of Kleenex.
My nose has a callous under it just above my lip from blowing and wiping.

Today I saw the doctor. Although the chest x ray looked ok and did not show any pneumonia he would not rule out a pneumonia or bacterial infection based on something he saw at the base of the lungs involving my diaphragm and that I have been fighting this for 2 weeks. So he said he could treat me with an antibiotic, or prednisone or an inhaler. I came home with all three.

I took everything right away. I still feel sick. I thought if I did everything I'd be better.

binga banga boom. All better. Not so.

I have never in my life had a chest x ray. I have never used an inhaler. I have taught people how to use an inhaler. It is much harder then it looks. (Maybe because I'm mostly Polish and can't chew gum and walk.)
So I shake the inhaler. I take a few deep breaths. I let all the air out and I start to inhale with my lips wrapped correctly around the inhaler. I use the inhaler and the spray hits the tip of my tongue. Seriously? I wasn't expecting that. Now I know why I teach the use of a spacer :)
2nd try or puff or what ever you call it. Same thing. Medicine on the tip of my tongue how much got into my lungs where it needs to be?
So tonight I use it again this time I was better -the first inhalation.
I had shared this little episode at bible study and everyone was laughing at the nurse who can't use an inhaler. Now as I am using the inhaler DH is reminding me of the talk at bible study as I am carefully trying to get it right. 2nd inhale - the spray hit the tip of my tongue again. dang !! I am going to bed and hoping I can get it right in my sleep. Teaching this is no where near as difficult as doing.

1 comment:

  1. I've used an inhaler all my life for my asthma and I agree, it is tricky! Don't be too hard on yourself - I still have misses every once in a while too. Yes, get a spacer! You'll do much better. I hope you feel better VERY soon :)

    ReplyDelete