Sunday, October 17, 2010

60 years

Today we celebrated my parents 60th wedding anniversary. My dad is 85 and my mom is 78. They'd asked their priest for a anniversary blessing at the end of mass. They were not planning on a big celebration since we had a family wedding in Minneapolis yesterday and they felt it was just too much. So this was supposed to be simple and quiet. We made plans to be at the church - as many as could make it. And a few showed up, 102 at my best count. My parents did'nt have any idea we were all there until when they went to the back of the church to get the gifts they caught sight of a granddaughter. And they cried. We didn't get to see or really hear the blessing he gave since we had all exited after communion and were in the church entrance. When Father gave us a nod we all came forward starting with my oldest brother and his family and on down the line until we had each given them a rose. After mass we went to the church basement for rolls. It was a beautiful way to celebrate a 60th anniversary.

Downside to the day was the fact that this is a very small country church and when you add 102 people there is no place for the parishioners to sit in their regular places. This is a 3 parish cluster and 10 o'clock is usually a full mass so we displaced quite a few people. I felt anxiety about being there and taking up someones 'usual' space. And I felt bad that to honor my parents Mass ran over 15 minutes (mass started 5 minutes late as chairs were being set up). I felt bad that some people left before the final blessing and hymn. I know I should not feel bad about going over 15 minutes or that we took someones spot but I do. I do have anxiety about disrupting what should be prayerful time of the week for community. But there is a part of me that realizes that some of these people may have been from the other 2 parishes - that they do not know my parents and were annoyed. Some may be at mass to get their ticket punched for the week. But there were lots of people that gave my folks cards and well wishes.

So I am glad that this time was spent today. It is so much better to celebrate now knowing that too soon we will be there for a funeral.

So funny story. My parents have been receiving cards in the mail and this past week they received a card with a laminated copy of their anniversary announcement from the weekly Diocesan paper. The note was simple and said congratulations... blah blah blah signed The Daniel-Williams family.
My parents do not know anyone from the Daniel-Williams family
this is a marketing tool..............for an area FUNERAL HOME !!!
It really made us all laugh out loud - how hard it must be to market a funeral home.


My Mom and Dad with all 9 kids and spouses



Just mom and Dad and kids

These next 2 pictures are from the family wedding yesterday 10/16/10


1 comment:

  1. Wow, 60 years! Congrats to your folks! They are so stinkin' cute...as is your entire family :)

    ReplyDelete