Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Little Sister

Mary and her parents left on Monday for Nashville. Mary was wearing the t-shirt given to her at her 'bachelorette' Party -it says Bride of Christ. We got up to go to 7:15 AM Mass to see them off. She had several high school friends there also. And the priest made a point to acknowledge her and her parents at the end of mass. It was so beautiful.

They have not been far from my thoughts. Tomorrow they will drop off her belongings and then tour the Mother House. Before tea Mary will be taken to her cell to change her clothes and then come to tea in her postulant clothes - black skirt, white blouse and vest. Her parents will get to spend a short time with her there before the sisters leave for chapel. When the community goes to chapel her parents will have to leave. They will head home on Thursday and be back on Friday.

I tried not to cry since I know this is a joyful time in Mary's life. But I failed miserably. I hugged her in church and wept, apologizing the entire time. I can't explain my relationship with Mary. She is such a trusting soul and in my friendship with Mary - she made me want to be a better person. How is that for a 47 year old to say an 18 year old was teaching her the way.

Our friends will certainly miss their daughter. I cry more for them, then for Mary or myself. Mary has been called. God has chosen her and she has chosen this journey. So then we are called also as family and friends to walk this journey beside her. Our friends have also been chosen to walk this path beside their daughter. It is a sacrifice. Mary's parents have guiding her through the years preparing for this week before they even knew this week would come. They are prepared and joyful just as they were at their other children's wedding and at the baptism of their first grandchild just this summer. Yet there is a sadness at the same time at the distance between them.
Dear Lord keep them wrapped in your love. Help them to find the strength they need and give them peace.

1 comment:

  1. you're so sweet for commenting!
    I LOVE this post and now I'm going to go read your others :)

    ReplyDelete